Welcome to my blog!


If this is the first time you are viewing it, I strongly recommend to start from "About Us," and then go to the very beginning (August 2011, Post 1). Otherwise, you may still enjoy the drawings, but the whole idea won't make much sense (I truly hope it does make sense if you read it in the proper order).




Sunday, June 1, 2014

82. What's on his mind?

For the first time since I started this blog almost three years ago I couldn't easily come up with the theme. Usually I am waiting for some idea, let say, when Victor sends a drawing that reminds me about another drawing, and another, and together they make a coherent post. And usually it doesn't take long to wait for inspiration. 

Lately, though, Victor almost doesn't send anything. Why? There are more important issues on his mind now: how to survive. How to survive economically: because of political instability in Ukraine, his publishing company goes through difficult time. How to survive physically: after the last cycle of radiotherapy, there was a short period when we thought it was the happy end. But then his knee started hurting again; the latest diagnostics showed relapse and the urgent need for more treatment. My recent attempts to collect more money for his radiotherapy were unsuccessful. Ironically, a few people who generously sent money this time, were the repeating donors, my former students. 

So with the worst mood ever, I just knew I needed to post something. So without tying them together, I am just posting Victor's last several drawings - or rather the last four I received from him. Well, this will be the connecting idea: they have all been made within the last month. 

The first drawing is clearly about Prometheus. I received it today and got really scared and upset. It seems very personal to me, especially at this difficult time in Victor's life... I hope other people will also be able to feel this pain and respond...


"Waiting for Pain"
"Ожидание Боли"


Maybe I see in his works what is not really there. But having known Victor for 33 years I read behind lines - sometimes, at least. The following drawing, as I see it, is about the Russian-Ukrainian conflict that already claimed dozens of lives. 


"Fratricide"
"Братоубийство"


After these two tragic themes, it's nice to have the next two drawings. 

"Mother and Daughter"
"Мать и Дочь"



"The Forest Song"
"Лесная Песня"

Help!

I gave Victor hope, and I feel responsible. He is my friend and a talented artist. But I cannot afford this myself. So I revived my fundraiser. Either you are a faithful reader of my blog, or you ended up here just once, by mistake - please contribute whatever you can. Also, please spread this information.

http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/an-artist-in-ukraine-fights-cancer-/102009

As a sign of gratitude, Victor and I would like to send you a print of his drawing - see 




No comments:

Post a Comment