Welcome to my blog!


If this is the first time you are viewing it, I strongly recommend to start from "About Us," and then go to the very beginning (August 2011, Post 1). Otherwise, you may still enjoy the drawings, but the whole idea won't make much sense (I truly hope it does make sense if you read it in the proper order).




Thursday, April 17, 2014

80. Spring - again!

Super busy, I almost missed this time of the year when I can post Victor's best photos of Spring, some new, some old. But this year, Spring starts so slowly and painfully, that they are still relevant.

Spring is the time of life when our hopes revive. Sometimes, these are hopes of survival...


Last summer, Victor was diagnosed with sarcoma of the soft tissue of his right knee. There is no such thing as medical insurance in Ukraine, and the amount of money he needed would be incomprehensible for most Ukrainian residents. So in the Fall, I started a fund-raiser, and a miracle happened: thanks to many of my friends, relatives, colleagues and former students, I was able to raise $12,500 for his treatment. And the growth of his tumor has stopped!!! But he still needed $4,500 more for another series of radiotherapy. I didn't feel I could raise more money at that point, so I just sent this amount to him, and for a couple of months it seemed that it was a happy end.  

But a few days ago I learned that his knee started hurting again, and a preliminary analysis showed a local relapse. Just for the additional diagnostics (positron-emission tomography) he needs almost $2000. And I am even afraid to think about the cost of the treatment that will be necessary. 

I gave him hope, I and feel responsible. He is my friend and a talented artist. But I cannot afford this myself, I need help. So I am reviving my fundraiser. Either you are a faithful reader of my blog, or you ended up here just once, by mistake - please contribute whatever you can. Also, please spread this information.


As a sign of gratitude, Victor and I would like to send you a print of his drawing - see 

These blue snowdrops (OK, they are not actually snowdrops, I checked, they are called "scilla") grow in the woods a few minutes from Victor's house, in the same woods I often walked in when I was a child living in Kharkov, Ukraine. I really missed them since I've moved to America. When I visited Kharkov a few years ago in April, the first thing on my plan was going to the woods. So the first morning after my arrival I did, and barely caught these flowers still in bloom. I even dug out a few bulbs to plant on my balcony next summer. They did grow, but did not look that impressive, to say the least.
But this photograph is fresh. 




 No stories for these pictures, but they are simply beautiful.



No comments:

Post a Comment