Welcome to my blog!


If this is the first time you are viewing it, I strongly recommend to start from "About Us," and then go to the very beginning (August 2011, Post 1). Otherwise, you may still enjoy the drawings, but the whole idea won't make much sense (I truly hope it does make sense if you read it in the proper order).




Sunday, January 22, 2012

28. Holy Days - Новые Годы

I was thinking what my next page should be about, and just at the right moment Victor sent me this drawing in an e-mail with the subject "Happy New Year!" - today is the Lunar New Year. 



I hope the letters are not real, because if they are, I would need to find out what they say.

Anyway, now I have a little cycle about multi-cultural celebrations in the holiday season. I would have called it New Year's celebrations, if it were not for Hanukah, but I think it still fits this cycle.



"The Year of the Dragon"
"Год Дракона"


Although Victor drew and sent "The Year of the Dragon" recently, he claims that it was not meant for the New Year. Or maybe it was sub-conscious?



"Christmas Tree"
"Елка"


Ironically, in the Soviet Union where the Russians got used to what was called "a New Year tree," people didn't associate it with Christmas at all, because any mentioning of religion was undesirable. The star on the top of the tree was not just a star, but a Soviet red star. In America, Soviet immigrants (including some Jewish families) keep celebrating the New Year's Eve with Christmas trees.

Although neither this not the next drawing has anything to do with it, I'll add that before I moved to America, I didn't even know what Hanukah was. Or, I guess, there may be some connection: even though Hanukah is a happy holiday, there were too much grief in Jewish history, hence - tears... I don't know if that's what Victor meant though.



No comments:

Post a Comment